Soft Sculptures For the Hard Hearted

I heart Indie Mart!

Yesterday was my first foray into the craft fair world as I dipped my toe into the waters of one of San Francisco’s coolest crafty events, Indie Mart! Usually set up in the Potrero Hill district, this time around Indie Mart was situated on one side of the Alamo Square Flea Market along Scott Street. My husband Chuck and I shared a booth under our Doomed to Live Studio moniker, with me on the right selling my Croshame goods and him on the left selling his chainmail and some of his other creations. We’re not exactly bazillionaires, so our setup was modest. We got everything to and from the event by Chuck’s bike cart and my Radio Flyer (visible in the background of the above photo), which I pulled the whole way. I felt like something out of a Beverly Cleary book, tugging my little red wagon loaded with Steri-lite boxes down the Panhandle at 6:45 in the morning!

The weather alternated between gorgeously sunny and typical overcast foggy, which was a lot better than we were expecting (i.e. rain). The crowd started picking up around 12 or so, and people began wandering over to our table to poke and prod and ooh and ahh over our stuff.

The really big draws were Chuck’s brightly colored puppets, which people went absolutely ape-poopy over; my Hogtied sliced pig platter, which someone renamed “Pork Chop”; and my Very Rare Indeed hamburger, which countless people pretended to fit into their mouth (trust me, you can’t). There was also a strange phenomenon of people actually hitting each other with my Ouch Cream Cones, proving that yarn can indeed provoke violence.

Then people started to BUY stuff, which was something we definitely didn’t think was going to happen. One of the most shocking developments was that almost all of my customers were CHILDREN! I’m usually a grumpy, old-maid-ish curmudgeon with a “Get off of my lawn / I had to walk to school in the ice without shoes” attitude, but that icy childfree-by-choice veneer quickly dissolved when I saw how damn happy my work made the 13-and-under set. I hesitate to use the term “heart-warming”, since mine would need a microwave oven to even get it tepid, but that’s damn near the level it got to. My favorite customer of the day was an awesome little girl whose equally-awesome dad bought her one of my monster purses.

Her dad jokingly said something like, “You two should be ashamed of all the artistic talent you guys have,” and I responded with, “We are ashamed! Every day! It’s even in my name!” — an answer which I think he appreciated.

All in all, it was a fantastic experience. Even though our usually dour faces were exhausted at the end of the day from all the smiling we did, we also made some money, met some neat people, and got to see folks actually reacting to and interacting with our work. Some of my favorite comments of the day ranged from “Everything here makes me so sad!” to “They’re all made out of sweaters,” and “This is just great,” to “That’s just wrong,” a phrase heard several times throughout the course of the day. My least favorite phrase of the day was probably the incredibly unimaginative “What are you supposed to do with this?” to which I generally responded “What AREN’T you supposed to do with it?” I also found it amusing how many people assumed I was a vegetarian or trying to “make a statement” with my food pieces… but I’m glad most people just laughed and got the joke.

A big thanks to all the organizers who put the awesome event together, the customers who purchased stuff from us, and all the great peeps who stopped by our booth to check us out! We had a blast!

About these ads

17 responses

1. Congrats on your awesome Indie Mart debut!

August 21, 2011 at 1:02 pm

• Thank you so much! :)

August 21, 2011 at 1:18 pm

2. dawndemom

I hadn’t seen photos of your work until now! WHAT A CREATIVE GROUP OF FUN! I have not gotten the hang of amigurumi, but after seeing what you’ve created, I feel more of the need to do this! Lots of great ideas and fun to be had if one knows how to make it happen – and you do! Glad you had some smiling faces purchase your goods! Hope the day was as productive as it sounded :)

August 21, 2011 at 4:40 pm

• Awesome! I hope you fulfill your crochet need soon. :) Thanks so much for stopping by!

August 21, 2011 at 5:55 pm

3. Congrats!
    I hope to sell some stuff (someday…maybe…) too. ;-)

August 21, 2011 at 5:10 pm

• Thanks so much, and the best of luck to you in your someday… maybe… future endeavors! ;D

August 21, 2011 at 5:58 pm

4. Incredibly cool post. Great pix! Wish I were local to check out your wares, and people watch!

August 21, 2011 at 8:23 pm

• Thanks Maven! I wish you could have people watched with us too, it was pretty entertaining.

August 22, 2011 at 7:57 am

5. Dee

I love your stuff. I especially like the blue monster bag. Do you sell the pattern or sell the product by chance?

August 22, 2011 at 6:10 am

• Thanks! No, I don’t have a pattern for the purses, but I do sell them over at http://doomedtolive.etsy.com. I don’t have one exactly like the blue monster bag right now, but I’m always open to doing commissions!

August 22, 2011 at 7:56 am

6. Fantastic! Congratulations on a successful market! Your work is brilliant!

August 22, 2011 at 7:04 am

7. sounds like you had an awesome day… and as much as kids can be annoying. I find that alot of the time they can have cooler tastes then adults when it comes to hand made things.

Oh and just so you know.. I’ve been lurking around your blog for a while and have given you an award… if your interested ;)

August 25, 2011 at 9:52 pm

• Thanks very much! So glad you came out of the “Lurking” closet!

August 27, 2011 at 11:16 am

8. SO RAD!

August 28, 2011 at 4:06 pm

• Well, hello there. Thanks guy!! Hope you are well!

August 28, 2011 at 4:30 pm

9. I came to see what’s up again. I posted about your awesome work a while back. I was not disappointed as your top post (this one) is awesomeness.

The photo of that little girl with her purse is priceless! Instant happy right there.

As a frequent, reluctant salesperson I’m often amazed at how wrong I can be about who my average customers will be and how much I learn. I’m so glad to share in your experience, thank you!

September 5, 2011 at 4:55 am