Soft Sculptures For the Hard Hearted

Making Croshame a Family Affair

My husband Chuck is a wildly talented individual who enjoys a slew of artistic hobbies: drawing, painting, sculpture, animation, woodworking, photography… yeah, he pretty much does it all.

So it came as a bit of surprise when, as I watched Kristin Omdahl‘s Crochet Corner segment on Knitting Daily one morning, Chuck started asking me to explain what she was doing. Whuuuuhhh… REALLY? Chuck has seen me crocheting for at least 4 hours almost every day for the last three years, but for some reason — maybe it was Kristin’s perky dimples or those professionally smooth KS Inc. close-up shots — something captured his attention this time around and he expressed a sincere interest in learning to crochet.

Without me forcing it on him!

I could just imagine Kristin’s reaction…

Seizing on Chuck’s enthusiasm, I immediately cleared some room on the couch and whipped out my extra hooks and surplus yarn. After a few demos, soothing words,  handholding, and the shocking revelation my husband has the opposite hook hold I do, by early evening I was staring from across the room at the surreal sight of Chuck crocheting.

Morning:

Afternoon:

Night:

For the first few days I would just look across the room and think, “Weird. This is so weird.”
But then I taught him how to make hats and it became a pretty frequent occurrence.

So now it isn’t so weird anymore, and we have an entire stack of crocheted hats that are fun for the whole family.

About these ads

8 responses

1. marieange

You are so lucky!!!
    I keep trying to get my husband to pick up a crochet hook or some knitting needles, but he refuses quite adamantly. He has nothing against these crafts, his mother knit and crocheted, so he’s used to it.
    I keep trying because he is in pain day and night. And since I know how much crochet and knitting as helped me refocus away from my pain, I keep hoping he will take it up and learn what an awesome thing knitting and crocheting is for helping to control pain.
    Oh well, one day… :)

August 7, 2012 at 9:06 am

2. Mindy Martinez

Love it! Another hooker in the club…

August 7, 2012 at 9:19 am

3. Donesia

It’s nice to see men crocheting.

August 7, 2012 at 10:12 am

4. Tillie

That is so cool!! Years ago, before it was cool, my husband was trying to quit smoking, and I was pregnant. I taught him how to crochet and he made a few baby clothes. But after the baby was born, he gave up crocheting and went back to smoking. Thanks for sharing that story, it really brought back some nice memories for me.

August 7, 2012 at 10:35 am

5. Stephanie

I love this :) I can only wish my fiance would take interest in crafting with me lol That’ll be the day! Good for your hubby :) Another way to bond hehe

P.S. I remembered you posting about moving from SF (I’m from Mountain View)… How has the change been?

Love reading your posts :)

August 7, 2012 at 12:44 pm

6. unique2wh0

Awesome! Does he find it relaxing? This made my day how cool is that! Before long he will have his own crochet and stuff blog!!

August 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm

7. It’s great that your hubby took an interest in the craft – whatever spurred him to it!

August 7, 2012 at 4:27 pm

8. Milani

OMG.
    your hubby is the 1st & probably the last man i’ll ever see crocheting!!! nice
    no arabian man will ever accept to do this nor to be documented in a picture…
    my regards to both of you
    : )